How common are hyperfunctioning thyroid nodules?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The exact number of people who have hyperfunctioning thyroid nodules (as opposed to other types of non-cancerous thyroid nodules) is not known. However, hyperfunctioning thyroid nodules often contribute to hyperthyroidism, which is a well-documented condition. Statistics on hyperthyroidism indicate that approximately 1% of American individuals have hyperthyroidism. In addition, women are up to 10 times more likely to have hyperthyroidism than men.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Understanding Thyroid Eye Disease
Understanding Thyroid Eye Disease
The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped gland located in the throat. It is part of the body’s endocrine system, a system of glands and organs that pro...
Can my diet increase my risk for thyroid problems?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
It is possible that diet can increase the risk of thyroid problems. Diets very low in iodine can cau...
Low Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome Fatigue
Low Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome FatigueLow Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome FatigueLow Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome FatigueLow Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome Fatigue
Plus a common hypothyroidism myth, busted. When it’s working properly, your thyroid—a hormone-producing gland at the base of your throat—is an unsung ...
How Do I Recognize a Thyroid Disease in My Child or Adolescent?