How should I care for my incision after thyroid surgery?

After thyroid surgery, the incision is covered with a clear plastic coating (collodion), which is waterproof so that you can bathe as usual (but do not submerge the incision for 5 days). Before you are discharged from the hospital, a single suture in the incision will be removed. The coating will peel off on its own within 3-7 days, and a moisturizer can be applied to the wound to improve healing.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Know the Signs of Thyroid Issues
Know the Signs of Thyroid Issues
Your thyroid is a small butterfly-shaped gland in the front of your neck, just below your Adam’s apple. The thyroid gland releases hormones that regul...
What foods should I eat if I have an underactive thyroid?
To restart an underactive thyroid, turn to Dr. Oz’s Thyroid Power Combo of iodized salt and sele...
Low Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome Fatigue
Low Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome FatigueLow Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome FatigueLow Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome FatigueLow Thyroid? Here's How to Overcome Fatigue
Plus a common hypothyroidism myth, busted. When it’s working properly, your thyroid—a hormone-producing gland at the base of your throat—is an unsung ...
Can a Thyroid Problem Make Me Forgetful?