Why may I need radioiodine therapy for thyroid cancer or my thyroid gland?

You may need radioiodine therapy:
  • If you have thyroid cancer, or
  • If your thyroid gland is overactive (hyperthyroidism)
Your doctor may need to treat your disease by causing your thyroid gland to stop working. Your thyroid gland needs iodine to do its job and is always looking for iodine to absorb. During this treatment, you are given iodine that is radioactive. Your thyroid gland absorbs this, and little by little the thyroid tissue is destroyed.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Cancer Treatment

What are surgery options for thyroid cancer?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
If the thyroid is cancerous, a surgeon may remove the entire gland as well as the lymph nodes close ...
What is radioiodine therapy for thyroid cancers or thyroid glands?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Radioiodine (radioactive iodine) therapy is used to treat overactive thyroid glands and thyroid ...
How is thyroid cancer treated?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment depends on the type of cancer and overall medical condition of each individual. The most c...
How successful is treatment for thyroid cancer?
Michael W. Yeh, MDMichael W. Yeh, MD
Thyroid cancer treatment is very successful.About 95 percent of thyroid cancer patients live more th...