When should I call my doctor if I have thyroid cancer?

You should call your doctor if you have symptoms of thyroid cancer and have not been diagnosed, if you are being treated for thyroid cancer and you have signs of infection or another problem, or to maintain follow-up care after being treated for thyroid cancer.

Call your doctor if you notice any of these potential symptoms of thyroid cancer:
  • a lump in the throat/neck
  • trouble breathing
  • difficulty swallowing
  • hoarseness
After treatment for thyroid cancer, you and your doctor will need to create and maintain a regular schedule of follow-up care that will likely include physical examinations and lab tests to be sure that you stay healthy and that your cancer does not return.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Cancer Treatment

Should I Go to a Academic Medical Center If Diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer?
How Do I Choose Treatment for My Thyroid Cancer?
What Is the Prognosis of Thyroid Cancer?