When should I call my doctor if I have thyroid cancer?

You should call your doctor if you have symptoms of thyroid cancer and have not been diagnosed, if you are being treated for thyroid cancer and you have signs of infection or another problem, or to maintain follow-up care after being treated for thyroid cancer.

Call your doctor if you notice any of these potential symptoms of thyroid cancer:
  • a lump in the throat/neck
  • trouble breathing
  • difficulty swallowing
  • hoarseness
After treatment for thyroid cancer, you and your doctor will need to create and maintain a regular schedule of follow-up care that will likely include physical examinations and lab tests to be sure that you stay healthy and that your cancer does not return.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Cancer Treatment

Are there alternative treatments for thyroid cancer?
Many people diagnosed with thyroid cancer use some form of alternative medicine. Some of the most po...
What are the side effects of treating anaplastic thyroid cancer?
Anaplastic thyroid cancer is treated aggressively with surgery and drugs, which often times have unp...
What are the treatment options for recurrent thyroid cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Treatment of recurrent thyroid cancer may include the following:Surgery with or without radioactive ...
How is pediatric thyroid cancer treated?
Harvey K. Chiu, MDHarvey K. Chiu, MD
Pediatric thyroid cancer is initially treated with surgery ideally by an experienced, high-volume su...