When should I call my doctor if I have thyroid cancer?

You should call your doctor if you have symptoms of thyroid cancer and have not been diagnosed, if you are being treated for thyroid cancer and you have signs of infection or another problem, or to maintain follow-up care after being treated for thyroid cancer.

Call your doctor if you notice any of these potential symptoms of thyroid cancer:
  • a lump in the throat/neck
  • trouble breathing
  • difficulty swallowing
  • hoarseness
After treatment for thyroid cancer, you and your doctor will need to create and maintain a regular schedule of follow-up care that will likely include physical examinations and lab tests to be sure that you stay healthy and that your cancer does not return.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Cancer Treatment

What are the factors affecting treatment of thyroid cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following: The age of the pat...
What is a thyroid lobectomy for thyroid cancer?
James Lee, MDJames Lee, MD
A thyroid lobectomy may be done for a variety of diseases including indeterminate lesions on fine ne...
What are the treatment options for recurrent thyroid cancer?
Stephanie Smooke-Praw, MDStephanie Smooke-Praw, MD
Treatment options for recurrent thyroid cancer include additional surgery, use of radioactive iodine...
How is hyperthyroidism treated?
Hyperthyroidism treatment is usually determined by the cause of the increased thyroid hormone. Peopl...