How do medications treat anaplastic thyroid cancer?

Anaplastic thyroid cancer is most often treated with surgery, but surgery by itself does not cure the disease. After surgery to remove the thyroid, thyroid hormone medications are administered to replace the hormones your thyroid produced and help to prevent cancer cells from growing. Most people will also be given radioactive iodine to make sure all thyroid tissue is completely gone, as well as any cancer cells that may have been left behind. Other follow-up treatments include a combination of chemotherapy, which is a drug therapy that kills cancer cells, and radiation therapy, a beam of radiation that is pointed at precise places on the neck.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Cancer Treatment

What are surgery options for thyroid cancer?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
If the thyroid is cancerous, a surgeon may remove the entire gland as well as the lymph nodes close ...
How do I choose treatment for my thyroid cancer?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
Multi-modality thyroid cancer therapy, where doctors use chemotherapy, radiation and sugery, has bec...
How does thyroid removal impact weight loss?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
Thyroid removal can have an impact on weight loss. If the thyroid is removed, the person needs to ta...
What are the side effects of treating anaplastic thyroid cancer?
Anaplastic thyroid cancer is treated aggressively with surgery and drugs, which often times have unp...