What increases my risk for thyroid cancer?

Factors that may increase your risk of thyroid cancer include being female, exposure to high levels of radiation, and your genetic makeup. A family history of conditions such as familial medullary thyroid cancer, multiple endocrine neoplasia and familial adenomatous polyposis increases your risk of thyroid cancer as well. 

Although the exact cause of thyroid cancer is unknown, there are a few factors that may increase your risk. Exposure to high levels of radiation, particularly in the head and neck region, increases the risk. Family history of certain genetic conditions that affect the thyroid, like goiter, may also increase your risk for developing thyroid cancer. Depending on the type of thyroid cancer, age and sex also may affect your risk.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

What increases my risk for anaplastic thyroid cancer?
The risk factors for developing anaplastic thyroid are few and specific. The disease affects people ...
What causes anaplastic thyroid cancer?
The cause of anaplastic thyroid cancer is currently not known. This type of cancer forms when geneti...
What increases my risk for papillary thyroid cancer?
If you have been exposed to radiation, you could be at risk for thyroid cancer. People who underwent...
Sanford - Chad Spanos - Why Did I Get Thyroid Cancer?