What causes thyroid cancer?

Not much is known about the causes of thyroid cancer. Thyroid cancer, like all cancers, results from the abnormal overgrowth of cells, which build up to form tumors. Certain genetic factors, like a family history of goiter or other thyroid conditions, may influence some types of thyroid cancer. Doctors believe that exposure to radiation, especially in the head or neck areas, may play a role in the development of thyroid cancer.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

Is thyroid cancer genetic?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
Current research indicates that thyroid cancer isn't inherited from parents. But, in this video, Eri...
What causes anaplastic thyroid cancer?
The cause of anaplastic thyroid cancer is currently not known. This type of cancer forms when geneti...
What are the risk factors for thyroid cancer?
George R. Tershakovec, MDGeorge R. Tershakovec, MD
Risk factors for thyroid cancer include: Gender and age: For unclear reasons, thyroid cancers (l...
Sanford - Chad Spanos - Why Did I Get Thyroid Cancer?