What causes thyroid cancer?

Not much is known about the causes of thyroid cancer. Thyroid cancer, like all cancers, results from the abnormal overgrowth of cells, which build up to form tumors. Certain genetic factors, like a family history of goiter or other thyroid conditions, may influence some types of thyroid cancer. Doctors believe that exposure to radiation, especially in the head or neck areas, may play a role in the development of thyroid cancer.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

What increases my risk for papillary thyroid cancer?
If you have been exposed to radiation, you could be at risk for thyroid cancer. People who underwent...
Is family history important in thyroid cancer?
W. Chad Spanos, MDW. Chad Spanos, MD
Thyroid cancer doesn’t seem to be inherited. Check out this video with Dr. Chad Spanos, an ear, nose...
What causes papillary thyroid cancer?
The specific cause of thyroid cancer is not clear. However, some environmental conditions could lead...
Sanford - Chad Spanos - Why Did I Get Thyroid Cancer?