What increases my risk for anaplastic thyroid cancer?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The risk factors for developing anaplastic thyroid are few and specific. The disease affects people aged 60 years and older. It affects more women than men. People who have a family history of goiters, which are swellings of the thyroid gland that are not cancerous, are also more at risk for developing thyroid cancer, as are people exposed to large doses of radiation. This might occur if someone has had radiation treatments to the head or neck or has been in close proximity to either a nuclear accident or nuclear weapons tests. Certain genetic conditions also place family members at greater risk. These conditions include medullary thyroid cancer, tumors of the endocrine glands, and certain cancers of the colon and rectum.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

What increases my risk for papillary thyroid cancer?
If you have been exposed to radiation, you could be at risk for thyroid cancer. People who underwent...
Is family history important in thyroid cancer?
W. Chad Spanos, MDW. Chad Spanos, MD
Thyroid cancer doesn’t seem to be inherited. Check out this video with Dr. Chad Spanos, an ear, nose...
Is thyroid cancer caused by environmental issues?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
Some people think the increase in thyroid cancer is due to the thinning ozone layer. In this video, ...
Sanford - Chad Spanos - Why Did I Get Thyroid Cancer?