Why did my doctor swab my sore throat?

A doctor will usually take a throat culture to determine the presence of the streptococcal bacteria in the throat. This is done by swiping the throat area with a cotton swab that is then analyzed in a laboratory. If the strep bacteria are present, your doctor will prescribe antibiotics. If you are given antibiotics, follow the course completely to avoid future complications. It may take several days until the throat culture comes back from the laboratory, but delaying treatment for that time will not increase the risks of developing rheumatic fever.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
How is panendoscopy used to diagnose throat disorders?
Panendoscopy (a tube inserted through your mouth and each part of the esophagus, stomach and duodenu...
Are throat disorders similar in adults and children?
Throat disorders are basically similar in adults and children. However, different ages are affected ...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?