When would a biopsy be used for a throat disorder?

A biopsy is the actual removal of tissue from the throat for the purpose of testing the sample in a lab. It is used primarily in the process of detecting cancer, since it is the only way to definitely determine whether a group of cells represents a cancerous tumor. It can also provide useful information about treating the cancer. Tests for other diseases can usually be conducted by swabbing of the throat.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
How is a rapid antigen test used to diagnose bacterial throat infections?
A rapid antigen test is a faster way to diagnose a bacterial throat infection than a throat culture....
What are throat disorders?
There is a wide range of different conditions that can affect your throat, or pharynx, and these are...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?