What throat disorders can result from tobacco use?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Tobacco can cause a variety of throat disorders since it irritates the membranes inside the throat. It increases your susceptibility to strep throat and other bacterial infections. It also massively increases your risk of throat cancer. Combined with alcohol, tobacco increases the risk of throat cancer to a hundred times the risk of someone who does not use these substances.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
What are throat disorders?
There is a wide range of different conditions that can affect your throat, or pharynx, and these are...
What are common throat problems?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Some common throat problems are sore throats and laryngitis. If you have laryngitis, it's hard to ...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?