What increases my risk for hyposmia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Age and gender are risk factors for hyposmia. You can gradually lose your sense of smell as you age, especially if you are a man. Exposure to toxic, airborne chemicals in the environment increases your risk of hyposmia, as does smoking. Head injury, especially to the front of the head, can damage your sense of smell, too, as can certain diseases and the use of certain medications like antihistamines and antibiotics.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
What are treatment options for colloid thyroid nodules?
If your thyroid is functioning at a normal level, you may not need treatment for thyroid nodules. Ho...
How does my environment affect throat disorders?
The air you are breathing can have a significant impact on your and your children's throat disorders...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?