What activities should someone with hoarseness avoid?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Someone with hoarseness should avoid using their voice in any way at all. Smoking and consuming alcohol should also be avoided. In general, it is advisable not to yell excessively in order to prevent hoarseness. You should avoid whispering as this puts additional strain on the vocal cords.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
How is a head and neck exam used to diagnose throat disorders?
The process of diagnosing throat disorders begins mostly with a direct examination of the head and n...
When should I see a doctor about my throat disorder?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have a throat problem, call or go to the doctor or clinic for: Increased trouble swallowing...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?