What is the treatment for Zenker's diverticulum?

Arlen D. Meyers, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)

Zenker's Diverticulum is an out pouching of the feeding tube (esophagus) usually where it meets the throat. Symptoms are typically a feeling of a lump in the throat or it feels like food gets stuck.

It is associated with tightness of the upper sphincter so the treatment involves relieving the spasm by injecting with Botox, cutting the muscle from the inside or outside and/or removing the diverticulum.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

Should I talk to my doctor about my colloid thyroid nodule symptoms?
While colloid thyroid nodules sometimes will not cause you any problems, you should tell your doctor...
What should I do after being treated for a bacterial throat infection?
After treatment for a bacterial throat infection, you still risk relapse or spreading the condition....
What throat disorder causes breathing difficulty?
Throat pain in conjunction with breathing difficulty is most likely caused by croup. Croup is a comm...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?