What is the treatment for Zenker's diverticulum?

Arlen D. Meyers, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)

Zenker's Diverticulum is an out pouching of the feeding tube (esophagus) usually where it meets the throat. Symptoms are typically a feeling of a lump in the throat or it feels like food gets stuck.

It is associated with tightness of the upper sphincter so the treatment involves relieving the spasm by injecting with Botox, cutting the muscle from the inside or outside and/or removing the diverticulum.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How can I help treat throat disorders?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here are some tips to feel better when you have a throat problem: Drink plenty of liquids. Warm drin...
What are common throat problems?
Some common throat problems are sore throats and laryngitis. If you have laryngitis, it's hard to ...
How can I manage a sore throat at home?
Most viral sore throats can be treated with home care. Home care also is a good supplement to th...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?