Should I talk to my doctor about my hyposmia symptoms?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Hyposmia may be mild and is sometimes temporary, such as the hyposmia that occurs as a result of nasal congestion. However, your sense of smell is an important tool that you need to recognize many forms of danger, such as the smoke of a house fire or the odor of a gas leak. Without the ability to smell these things, you could come to harm.

Hyposmia can also be a side effect of a more serious condition, such as Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, or Alzheimer's. Hyposmia can affect your quality of life, because it diminishes your ability to enjoy pleasant aromas. It can dampen your sense of taste, making food less appealing. Hyposmia can, in some cases, lead to depression. If your hyposmia is severe, talk to your doctor about your symptoms.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
When would a biopsy be used for a throat disorder?
A biopsy is the actual removal of tissue from the throat for the purpose of testing the sample i...
When should I see a doctor about my throat disorder?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have a throat problem, call or go to the doctor or clinic for: Increased trouble swallowing...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?