Is whispering okay if I have hoarseness?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

No, you should not whisper if you are hoarse. You should avoid speaking at all. Whispering can actually place more strain on your voice than talking normally.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
How is hoarseness treated?
Treatment of hoarseness is the same for most causes. You would be advised to rest the voice for seve...
How is a head and neck exam used to diagnose throat disorders?
The process of diagnosing throat disorders begins mostly with a direct examination of the head and n...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?