How can I manage a sore throat at home?

Most viral sore throats can be treated with home care. Home care also is a good supplement to the antibiotic treatment given for bacterial infections to relieve pain. These are some home care measures to try:

• Gargle every few hours with salt water (1/4 teaspoon salt in eight ounces warm water).
  • Drink a cup of weak tea with lemon or honey.
  • Increase fluids to eight to 12 glasses a day.
  • Try over-the-counter throat lozenges containing local anesthetics.
  • Cough drops or hard candy can moisten the throat.
  • Get plenty of rest.
  • Try acetaminophen, aspirin or ibuprofen for pain and fever. (Do not give aspirin to children under 18.) Follow the label for correct dosage.
  • Using a vaporizer to moisten the air may help moisten the throat.
  • Avoid smoking or being around smoke and other throat irritants.
  • If stomach acid is contributing to the sore throat, take precautions for heartburn.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

When should I have my tonsils looked at?
Rick C. Jensen, MDRick C. Jensen, MD
If you've been told you have big tonsils, that may not mean you need treatment. But in some cases, b...
What throat disorders can antibiotics treat?
Antibiotics kill bacteria. The only throat disorders they treat are bacterial infections. Penicillin...
What throat disorders are associated with vomiting and nausea?
If you are experiencing nausea in conjunction with throat pain, viral gastroenteritis may be to blam...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?