Hoarseness can last anywhere from just a few hours to several months or more. The duration depends upon what has caused it and whether it is being treated or not. For mild cases, resting your voice and staying away from vocal fold irritants will help hoarseness go away more quickly. If you experience hoarseness for more than 2 weeks, you should contact your doctor.
- Q When should I see a doctor about my throat disorder?
- Q What are common throat problems?
- Q What should I do after being treated for a bacterial throat infection?
- Q What throat disorders are associated with vomiting and nausea?
- Q How is a head and neck exam used to diagnose throat disorders?
- Q Why do I have mucous buildup in my throat?