How do I manage my hypogeusia on a daily basis?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Hypogeusia can lead to reductions in the ability to taste, making food bland and eating less appealing. Try not to allow your hypogeusia to lead to unhealthy dietary choices, since this can increase your risk of stroke, heart disease, and diabetes. Instead of adding more sugar or salt to your food, try using flavorful herbs and spices. Eating foods offering a range of textures and colors can make meals more appealing as well. Avoid combination foods, since these can be hard to taste if you suffer from hypogeusia. Butter, olive oil, cheese, and bacon bits can enhance the flavor of food for those who are not required to follow a strict medical diet.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
What throat disorders can result from tobacco use?
Tobacco can cause a variety of throat disorders since it irritates the membranes inside the throat. ...
Why did my doctor swab my sore throat?
A doctor will usually take a throat culture to determine the presence of the streptococcal bacte...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?