How does hypogeusia affect the body?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Hypogeusia is a taste disorder, and taste impairment can have serious health consequences. A reduction in the ability to taste might cause you to eat differently. Hypogeusia might cause you to overeat, not eat enough, or overuse sugar and salt. These habits can increase your risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. Hypogeusia can make adhering to a strict diet difficult. Hypogeusia may damage your ability to identify spoiled foods or foods that could trigger an allergic reaction. Hypogeusia can even contribute to depression.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
How is gastric reflux connected to throat disorders?
Gastric reflux occurs when problems with the esophagus cause stomach acid to move upwards into the e...
What is the treatment for Zenker's diverticulum?
Arlen D. Meyers, MDArlen D. Meyers, MD
Zenker's Diverticulum is an out pouching of the feeding tube (esophagus) usually where it meets the ...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?