How common is hypogeusia?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Hypogeusia is fairly common and often occurs naturally with age. The causes of hypogeusia are so many, ranging from upper respiratory infections to neurologic disorders, that almost everyone is likely to experience at least a brief episode of hypogeusia during their lifetime. Most cases of hypogeusia, however, clear up on their own.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
Why did my doctor swab my sore throat?
A doctor will usually take a throat culture to determine the presence of the streptococcal bacte...
How is a rapid DNA test used to diagnose bacterial throat infections?
A rapid DNA test is similar to a throat culture when it comes to how it diagnoses bacterial throat i...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?