How is a head and neck exam used to diagnose throat disorders?

The process of diagnosing throat disorders begins mostly with a direct examination of the head and neck. A tool called a laryngoscope, usually involving lights and mirrors, is used to view the throat. Throat disorders are often related to other problems in the same area. Consequently, in the process of this exam, a doctor will also inspect the nose and mouth.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
What throat disorders are associated with vomiting and nausea?
If you are experiencing nausea in conjunction with throat pain, viral gastroenteritis may be to blam...
When should I have my tonsils looked at?
Rick C. Jensen, MDRick C. Jensen, MD
If you've been told you have big tonsils, that may not mean you need treatment. But in some cases, b...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?