How can I ease the pain that results from throat disorders?

Over-the-counter pain relievers are a common way to deal with uncomfortable symptoms associated with throat disorders. Over-the-counter drugs cannot directly treat any throat problems, though. In the case of bacterial infection, antibiotics are necessary; for cancer, chemotherapy or other drugs. However, over-the-counter pain relievers can be a useful way to treat the symptoms of throat infections while waiting for the antibiotics to kick in. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen are the primary drugs used. It is not a good idea to give aspirin to your child with a throat infection. Make sure to follow the recommended dosage on the labels of these drugs; it is possible to overdose.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
Are colloid thyroid nodules serious?
Colloid thyroid nodules are not necessarily serious, but can lead to a more serious condition. If th...
What increases my risk for throat disorders?
Throat disorders have a large variety of causes. However, there are some commonalities. Using tobacc...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?