Does hyposmia have any complications?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Because the senses of smell and taste are closely related, hyposmia can affect your sense of taste, leading to hypogeusia, or a reduction in the ability to taste flavors. You may want to use herbs and spices to make your food more flavorful. Meals that offer a range of textures and colors are generally more appealing, even when your sense of taste is dulled.

Hyposmia can inhibit your ability to recognize smells that signal danger, such as the smell of smoke or the smell of rotten food. If you have hyposmia, you may want to install smoke alarms and be cautious about using natural gas in your home, since you may not be able to smell leaking gas. Be careful with food, since you may not be able to tell if it is still safe to eat.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
What could cause a lump in my throat?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Doctors sometimes use the term "globus sensation" for the feeling of a lump in the throat. It's ...
Can throat disorders cause problems elsewhere in the body?
Some types of throat disorders can spread to other parts of the body. Bacterial infections and cance...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?