How is a rapid DNA test used to diagnose bacterial throat infections?

A rapid DNA test is similar to a throat culture when it comes to how it diagnoses bacterial throat infections, but a little faster. A swab is taken from the throat and the sample is sent to a lab for analysis. Instead of waiting to see what grows, the DNA in the sample can be analyzed to precisely identify if a bacterial infection is present, and, if so, what type of bacterium is causing it. This test can usually be performed within a day.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How can I prevent return of Zenker's diverticulum post-surgery?
Christopher M. Garvey, MDChristopher M. Garvey, MD
Unfortunately, there is nothing a patient can do to prevent a Zenker's diverticulum recurrence.  Rep...
What increases my risk for throat disorders?
Throat disorders have a large variety of causes. However, there are some commonalities. Using tobacc...
How is gastric reflux connected to throat disorders?
Gastric reflux occurs when problems with the esophagus cause stomach acid to move upwards into the e...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?