How is a rapid antigen test used to diagnose bacterial throat infections?

A rapid antigen test is a faster way to diagnose a bacterial throat infection than a throat culture. After a doctor swabs the throat, it takes only a few minutes to complete the test. A positive rapid antigen test strongly confirms that a bacterial infection is present. However, a negative test does not rule out infection. Doctors will thus often supplement a negative test with a throat culture.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

What are treatment options for colloid thyroid nodules?
If your thyroid is functioning at a normal level, you may not need treatment for thyroid nodules. Ho...
Can throat disorders cause problems elsewhere in the body?
Some types of throat disorders can spread to other parts of the body. Bacterial infections and cance...
How can cancer cause throat disorders?
Throat cancer is a throat disorder. It can also cause the emergence of throat-related symptoms. It c...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?