What is throat cancer?

Throat cancer refers to several types of cancers that affect different parts of the throat. Cancer of the voice box (laryngeal cancer) is also called throat cancer. Pharyngeal cancer is another name for throat cancer. Most throat cancers are squamous cell carcinomas. These types of cancers are made up of small, flat cells that resemble fish scales.

Continue Learning about Throat Cancer

Is throat cancer serious?
Like all cancers, throat cancer is considered a serious disease. Treatments such as surgery, radiati...
What should I ask my doctor if I'm diagnosed with throat cancer?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
Ask your doctor what the cause of your throat cancer is and what the options for treatment are. In t...
How does esophageal cancer affect women differently than men?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Esophageal cancer affects women and men differently. Men are more at risk to develop esophageal canc...
What are scientists studying about throat cancer?
There are numerous research studies focusing on throat cancer. One area of research involves the bod...