What are scientists studying about throat cancer?

There are numerous research studies focusing on throat cancer. One area of research involves the body's immune system and how it reacts to cancer cells. Understanding this relationship will help to identify new treatments. Scientists finding a mutation of a gene responsible for many such cancers has yielded hope of earlier detection and treatment. There is hope too for the prevention of cancer in people at risk using what are known as chemoprevention drugs. Targeted therapy in the form of epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors, to prevent the growth of cancer, are showing much promise in cancer treatment. Another topic of study is treatment options for more advanced stages of cancer, and the effectiveness of combination therapies like radiation therapy with newer anticancer drugs. The research examines quality of life concerns and how best to address them.

Continue Learning about Throat Cancer

How common is throat cancer?
Abie H. Mendelsohn, MDAbie H. Mendelsohn, MD
There are an estimated 40,000 cases of mouth and pharynx cancer each year. For the larynx, or the vo...
Can people with throat cancer participate in research studies?
A variety of clinical trials are being conducted for people with throat cancer who wish to participa...
What should I ask my doctor if I'm diagnosed with throat cancer?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
Ask your doctor what the cause of your throat cancer is and what the options for treatment are. In t...
What is throat cancer?
Throat cancer refers to several types of cancers that affect different parts of the throat. Cancer o...