What are scientists studying about throat cancer?

There are numerous research studies focusing on throat cancer. One area of research involves the body's immune system and how it reacts to cancer cells. Understanding this relationship will help to identify new treatments. Scientists finding a mutation of a gene responsible for many such cancers has yielded hope of earlier detection and treatment. There is hope too for the prevention of cancer in people at risk using what are known as chemoprevention drugs. Targeted therapy in the form of epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors, to prevent the growth of cancer, are showing much promise in cancer treatment. Another topic of study is treatment options for more advanced stages of cancer, and the effectiveness of combination therapies like radiation therapy with newer anticancer drugs. The research examines quality of life concerns and how best to address them.

Continue Learning about Throat Cancer

What should I ask my doctor if I'm diagnosed with throat cancer?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
Ask your doctor what the cause of your throat cancer is and what the options for treatment are. In t...
Is throat cancer serious?
Like all cancers, throat cancer is considered a serious disease. Treatments such as surgery, radiati...
What can I expect when I see the doctor for throat cancer?
The doctor will most likely ask questions about your medical history, perform an examination, and or...
How common is throat cancer?
Close to 50,000 people will be diagnosed with oral or pharyngeal cancer per year in the United State...