How does throat cancer affect the body?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Throat cancer can affect the body differently depending on the part of the throat where cancer develops. Cancer of the voice box can cause pain in the ears or pain when swallowing. If cancer affects the salivary glands, it can cause swelling near the jaw and chin and pain, numbness or paralysis of the facial muscles. Cancer in other parts of the throat can cause persistent pain or other symptoms that don't subside after about two weeks. Certain cancer treatments may cause additional affects on the body, including difficulty speaking, swallowing or eating. Physical therapy may be needed in these cases.

Continue Learning about Throat Cancer

What can I expect when I see the doctor for throat cancer?
The doctor will most likely ask questions about your medical history, perform an examination, and or...
How common is throat cancer?
Close to 50,000 people will be diagnosed with oral or pharyngeal cancer per year in the United State...
What are scientists studying about throat cancer?
There are numerous research studies focusing on throat cancer. One area of research involves the bod...
What is throat cancer?
Throat cancer refers to several types of cancers that affect different parts of the throat. Cancer o...