How is targeted drug therapy used to treat throat cancer?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Targeted drug therapies stop cancer cells from growing. Cetuximab (Erbitux) is one such drug that is used to treat throat cancer. These drugs use specific characteristics of cancer cells in order to kill them. Because the treatment only kills cancer cells, it can have fewer side effects than chemotherapy. Targeted drug therapies may also be used together with radiation and chemotherapy.

Continue Learning about Throat Cancer

What is throat cancer?
Throat cancer refers to several types of cancers that affect different parts of the throat. Cancer o...
How common is throat cancer?
Close to 50,000 people will be diagnosed with oral or pharyngeal cancer per year in the United State...
What should I ask my doctor if I'm diagnosed with throat cancer?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
Ask your doctor what the cause of your throat cancer is and what the options for treatment are. In t...
What are scientists studying about throat cancer?
There are numerous research studies focusing on throat cancer. One area of research involves the bod...