Why does the inside of my elbow hurt if it gets hit on the outside?

If the inside of your elbow hurts even though it got hit on the outside, you may have a ulnar collateral ligament tear. The ulnar ligament is an elastic band-type tissue that connects the humerus bone and the ulna bone. With enough pressure, this ligament can get torn.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Southern Utah University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Parts of the Musculoskeletal System

What are the different parts of the back?
Your back is made up of an intricate system of bones, nerves, and tissues. The three main ones you w...
How can good posture help protect my joints?
Dr. Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcDr. Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
You don't have to walk around with a book on your head, but if you value your joints, do make an eff...
Where is the abdominal cavity?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The abdominal cavity is located below the rib cage and above the pelvic bones. An abdominal cavi...
What role does the neck play in overall health?
Mosaraf Ali, MDMosaraf Ali, MD
The most important role of the neck is that it supports the head and that it houses arteries that s...