Why did my doctor tell me to wear sunscreen while I'm taking tetracycline?

Your doctor instructed you to apply a sunscreen (at least SPF 15) if you go out in the sunlight while you are taking tetracycline because this medicine can make your skin more sensitive to the sun's rays and result in sunburn. You should also wear protective clothing, such as long sleeves and a wide-brimmed hat when you are out in the sun. Also, you should avoid exposure to artificial UV rays (such as sun lamps or tanning beds).

Continue Learning about Tetracyclines

What is tetracycline?
Tetracycline is an antibiotic that's used to treat a variety of bacterial infections and other condi...
Is it okay to let my girlfriend take some of my tetracycline?
Even if you and your girlfriend have the same condition, you should not give your tetracycline t...
What should I know about tetracycline before taking it?
People with allergies or asthma are more likely to have an allergic reaction to tetracycline antibio...
Is it safe for my daughter to go out in the sun if she's on tetracycline?
Your daughter should avoid the sun while she is taking tetracycline. If she does go out in the s...