Who should not take doxycycline hyclate?

Before taking doxycycline hyclate, you should provide your doctor with a complete medical history, including any conditions you have, or have ever had, especially liver or kidney disease.

It is imperative that you tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding, pregnant or plan to become pregnant before taking doxycycline. The FDA has labeled doxycycline hyclate as a pregnancy Category D medication, which means studies demonstrate that the medication poses a risk to the fetus, but that the use of the medication in life-threatening situations may outweigh the risk of harm. If you become pregnant while taking doxycycline, you and your doctor should weigh the benefits of continuing the medication versus the risk of harm to the fetus. Because doxycycline hyclate may decrease effectiveness of hormonal birth control pills, use a non-hormonal form of reliable birth control while taking doxycycline. Doxycycline hyclate passes through a mother's breast milk and may harm a nursing child. A woman should not breastfeed while taking doxycycline hyclate.

Doxycycline should not be given to children younger than 8 years of age. Doxycycline can cause sun sensitivity, so avoid sunlight while taking the medication and wear protective clothing and sun screen to prevent sunburn.   

Continue Learning about Tetracyclines

Is it safe for my daughter to go out in the sun if she's on tetracycline?
Your daughter should avoid the sun while she is taking tetracycline. If she does go out in the s...
Can I drink milk when taking my tetracycline?
No, you should not take your tetracycline at the same times as you drink milk because dairy prod...
Why did my doctor tell me to wear sunscreen while I'm taking tetracycline?
Your doctor instructed you to apply a sunscreen (at least SPF 15) if you go out in the sunlight whil...
Do tetracycline antibiotics interact with any other medications?
If you are taking any of the following medications, tetracycline can lead to side effects and should...