What should I know about Ximino before taking it?

Before you take Ximino (minocycline), a tetracycline-class antibiotic prescribed to treat certain kinds of acne, you should know that it can interact with a number of other medications. Before you start taking it, let your doctor know about all your other medicines (prescription or nonprescription), as well as any supplements you take.

If you take antacids, calcium supplements or laxatives containing magnesium, take Ximino an hour beforehand or two hours afterward. If you are taking iron supplements, take Ximino two hours beforehand or three hours afterward. You should know that Ximino may make birth control pills less effective. Talk with your doctor; you may need to use a backup form of birth control while you're taking Ximino.

You should give your doctor a thorough medical history before starting Ximino. Be sure to let him or her know if you have ever had diabetes or kidney or liver disease; these may affect your doctor's decision about prescribing Ximino or affect the dose that's right for you. It's important to know that you should not take Ximino if you are pregnant; the antibiotic may harm a developing fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Ximino, call your doctor right away. You also should not breastfeed if you're taking Ximino.

You should know about potential side effects of Ximino and the precautions you should take. For example, Ximino can make your skin sensitive to sunlight, so you should be extra careful to use sunscreen. Ximino may make you drowsy or dizzy, so you should not drive or operate machinery until you know how the drug will affect you.

Continue Learning about Tetracyclines

Is it safe for my daughter to go out in the sun if she's on tetracycline?
Your daughter should avoid the sun while she is taking tetracycline. If she does go out in the s...
Can I drink milk when taking my tetracycline?
No, you should not take your tetracycline at the same times as you drink milk because dairy prod...
If I get an infection again, can I take my old tetracycline?
You should not use tetracycline that's left over from a previous time you had an infection. You ...
What should I know about tetracycline before taking it?
People with allergies or asthma are more likely to have an allergic reaction to tetracycline antibio...