Who should not take doxycycline calcium oral suspension?

Doxycycline calcium may affect other medical conditions or treatments. If you have diarrhea, porphyria or lupus, you may not be able to take this drug. It is imperative that you tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding, pregnant, or plan to become pregnant before taking doxycycline. The FDA has labeled doxycycline calcium as a pregnancy category D medication, which means studies conclusively demonstrate that the medication poses risk to the fetus, but that the use of the medication in life-threatening situations may outweigh the risk of harm to the fetus.

If you become pregnant while taking doxycycline, you and your doctor should weigh the benefits of continuing the mediation versus the risk of harm to the fetus. A woman should not breast-feed while taking doxycycline calcium because it passes through breast milk and may harm a nursing child. Because doxycycline may decrease effectiveness of hormonal birth control pills, use a non-hormonal form of reliable birth control while taking doxycycline. Doxycycline should not be given to children younger than eight years old. Doxycycline can cause permanent discoloration in teeth of infants or children.

Continue Learning about Tetracyclines

Can I drink milk when taking my tetracycline?
No, you should not take your tetracycline at the same times as you drink milk because dairy prod...
What should I know about tetracycline before taking it?
People with allergies or asthma are more likely to have an allergic reaction to tetracycline antibio...
What is tetracycline?
Tetracycline is an antibiotic that's used to treat a variety of bacterial infections and other condi...
Is it okay to let my girlfriend take some of my tetracycline?
Even if you and your girlfriend have the same condition, you should not give your tetracycline t...