What should I know about Doryx before taking it?

You should not take this medication if you have a history of an allergic reaction to doxycycline or another tetracycline antibiotic. If you have liver or kidney problems, you may need a lower dose or a different medication. Doryx also should be used with caution in people over 65 years of age, because of a higher risk of side effects. Doryx can affect tooth and bone development. Therefore, it is usually not used in children less than eight years of age or in women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. Your skin will become more sensitive to the sun when you take Doryx. If you are not able to avoid the sun due to work requirements or other factors, you should discuss alternative treatment options with your physician. Doryx can cause a wide range of gastrointestinal side effects. Doryx also can make you more susceptible to other infections by killing the bacteria that normally protect you. You should let your doctor know if you have a history of recurrent yeast infections (vaginal or oral) because you may have a higher risk of this side effect.

In addition, you should speak with your healthcare provider about any new symptoms that you experience while taking Doryx. It may cause increased pressure in the skull which can result in headaches, vision changes, dizziness, nausea and vomiting. This condition usually improves after treatment ends. Interactions between Doryx and prescription or over-the-counter medications can increase side effects or decrease the effectiveness of Doryx. You should tell your doctor about all of the medications you take, including over-the-counter drugs, as they may affect your treatment. Taking Doryx with food may alleviate the stomach upset that can occur. However, regular consumption of alcohol may make Doryx less effective. Never take expired medication, as it may cause permanent damage to your kidneys.

Continue Learning about Tetracyclines

What should I know about tetracycline before taking it?
People with allergies or asthma are more likely to have an allergic reaction to tetracycline antibio...
What are the side effects of tetracycline?
Side effects may include fatigue, headache, sleepiness, a spinning sensation (vertigo), itching, a r...
Is it okay to let my girlfriend take some of my tetracycline?
Even if you and your girlfriend have the same condition, you should not give your tetracycline t...
Why did my doctor tell me to wear sunscreen while I'm taking tetracycline?
Your doctor instructed you to apply a sunscreen (at least SPF 15) if you go out in the sunlight whil...