How should I take doxycycline?

You should take doxycyline exactly as directed by your doctor. In most cases, this will be once or twice a day. Swallow doxycycline capsules or tablets with a full glass of water. If you find that doxycycline gives you an upset stomach, talk to your pharmacist. You may try taking it with food or milk. However, doing so may reduce the amount of medicine that your stomach absorbs.

If you take doxycycline syrup or suspension (liquid), first shake the bottle well to distribute the medicine evenly. Don't stop taking doxycycline because your symptoms improve -- always finish all the medicine prescribed to you. If you are taking doxycycline to prevent malaria while traveling, start taking the medication a day or two before departure. Continue taking doxycycline for a month after your leave the area where malaria is a risk.

Continue Learning about Tetracyclines

What should I know about tetracycline before taking it?
People with allergies or asthma are more likely to have an allergic reaction to tetracycline antibio...
What are the side effects of tetracycline?
Side effects may include fatigue, headache, sleepiness, a spinning sensation (vertigo), itching, a r...
What is tetracycline?
Tetracycline is an antibiotic that's used to treat a variety of bacterial infections and other condi...
Is it okay to let my girlfriend take some of my tetracycline?
Even if you and your girlfriend have the same condition, you should not give your tetracycline t...