What should I know about tetracycline before taking it?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

People with allergies or asthma are more likely to have an allergic reaction to tetracycline antibiotics.

If you have impaired kidney function or impaired liver function, tetracycline antibiotics may not be good options for you.

If you are pregnant, the health of your baby may be at risk if you take a tetracycline antibiotic.

Tetracycline antibiotics should not be given to children under 8 years old.

You should not take tetracycline antibiotics if you are breastfeeding. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Tetracyclines

Do tetracycline antibiotics interact with any other medications?
If you are taking any of the following medications, tetracycline can lead to side effects and should...
Why did my doctor tell me to wear sunscreen while I'm taking tetracycline?
Your doctor instructed you to apply a sunscreen (at least SPF 15) if you go out in the sunlight whil...
Is it safe for my daughter to go out in the sun if she's on tetracycline?
Your daughter should avoid the sun while she is taking tetracycline. If she does go out in the s...
If I get an infection again, can I take my old tetracycline?
You should not use tetracycline that's left over from a previous time you had an infection. You ...