What can cause a blister on my hand if I play tennis?

Blisters on the hand are caused by friction between a piece of sporting equipment and the skin. The deeper layer of skin becomes damaged, while the surface layer remains intact. A liquid-filled pocket then forms as the body sends fluid to the site of injury.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Tennis

How can I decrease the risk of lower-back injury from tennis?
The main causes of back injuries when playing tennis are overuse of your lower-back muscles, an ...
How can I keep playing tennis and stay safe and healthy?
Tennis is a fun and challenging workout that will work many different parts of your body. Tennis wil...
How often should I stretch while training for tennis?
If general health is the main goal, engage in stretching three to five times a week. Athletes re...
How do I increase my tennis stroke velocity?
The key to increasing your tennis stroke velocity comes from the tennis racket. First, a firm an...