Will upper-body power exercises alone get a more powerful tennis serve?

Improving the power of your serve is about technique, strength, flexibility and power. A tennis serve is a whole body movement that involves your arms, shoulders, chest, core, legs, hips, and feet. Performing exercises that only increase power for the upper body may increase your serve slightly but it is not nearly as effective as a total body power training program. To maximize your serve, focus first on balanced and stabilized core, hips, legs, and upper body, then progress to a strong and muscularly developed body, and finally add in explosive power training. Focus on exercises that help you to increase power in the core, upper body, and lower body.

Continue Learning about Tennis

What should I do after my tennis match to decrease soreness?
To decrease soreness and increase and maintain range of motion there are two main types of stret...
What can I do to decrease pain in my wrist while playing tennis?
Make sure you have the right racket size and weight, do wrist and grip exercises, and look into ...
How do I increase my tennis stroke velocity?
The key to increasing your tennis stroke velocity comes from the tennis racket. First, a firm an...
How often should I stretch while training for tennis?
If general health is the main goal, engage in stretching three to five times a week. Athletes re...