What should I do after my tennis match to decrease soreness?

To decrease soreness and increase and maintain range of motion there are two main types of stretching a tennis player should perform after work outs or games. The first is self-myofascial release, or SMR. SMR is similar to a deep tissue massage and is typically done by laying down and rolling your body parts on a foam roller, tennis ball or some other firm, yet moveable apparatus. When performing SMR with a foam roll, make sure to roll back and forth for thirty to sixty seconds over every major area of the body: inner and outer thighs, hips and gluteals, calves, low back, upper back and chest. The second type of stretching is known as static stretching, the kind that most people are familiar with. A static stretch should be held for thirty to sixty seconds and you should stretch far enough to feel a deep stretch, but not too far as to feel discomfort. Just like SMR, stretch all the major areas of your body.

Continue Learning about Tennis

Why is playing tennis good for my health?
Tennis is a fun and challenging workout that will work many different parts of your body. Tennis wil...
What can I do to decrease pain in my wrist while playing tennis?
Make sure you have the right racket size and weight, do wrist and grip exercises, and look into ...
How do I increase my tennis stroke velocity?
The key to increasing your tennis stroke velocity comes from the tennis racket. First, a firm an...
What are some heart-health precautions to take before starting tennis?
If you are concerned about your heart or your health impacting your ability to play tennis consult y...