How do I stretch my shoulders to prepare for tennis competition?

Before an tennis competition, perform an active or dynamic warm-up. For example, light jogging or riding a bike for two to three minutes to increase core body temperature and warm-up muscles followed by a dynamic warm-up. A dynamic warm-up includes movements done in a fluid manner to move the joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles of the body through their full range of motion. Good examples of dynamic warm-up exercises for the shoulder are motions that mimic the forehand, backhand, and serve in tennis. Do this without any weight in your hand. Before or after training workouts, static stretching and self-myofascial release can be done to ensure that your shoulder muscles are at their proper lengths to help the joint move efficiently and without injury. Self-myofascial release (SMR), a form of self-massage that works to alleviate knots in muscles, is performed with a foam roller or tennis ball. Focus on the muscles of the upper back, shoulder, latissimus dorsi, and chest. Perform SMR on each area of the shoulder for approximately thirty seconds. Follow this by static stretches, which are held for thirty seconds for areas of the shoulders, back, chest, and rotator cuff. Combining dynamic stretching before athletic competition with SMR and static stretching done before or after training workouts improves your range of motion and helps to maintain shoulder health.

Continue Learning about Tennis

What can cause a blister on my hand if I play tennis?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Blisters on the hand are caused by friction between a piece of sporting equipment and the skin. ...
Why is playing tennis good for my health?
Tennis is a fun and challenging workout that will work many different parts of your body. Tennis wil...
What should I do after my tennis match to decrease soreness?
To decrease soreness and increase and maintain range of motion there are two main types of stret...
How often should I stretch while training for tennis?
If general health is the main goal, engage in stretching three to five times a week. Athletes re...