Are push-ups a good exercise to improve tennis racket speed?

Push-ups will not directly improve your tennis racket speed. You need to work on increasing your overall strength, stance, and technique to improve your racket speed. However, push-ups can help you to increase your strength to help your overall game performance. Try to work on doing one to two sets of twenty repetitions when you do push-ups.
Yusuf Boyd, NASM Elite Trainer
Athletic Training
There are many factors that play a role in improving racket speed, Push-ups, however (a great exercise by the way), do not directly impact racket speed. Doing push-ups will help increase overall strength and endurance. When doing sport specific training, you have to think about the primary muscles involved in the action and work them in a manner similar to the action performed during the sport, not in isolation like a typical body builder workout.

Continue Learning about Tennis

How can I decrease the risk of lower-back injury from tennis?
The main causes of back injuries when playing tennis are overuse of your lower-back muscles, an ...
How do I release the tension in my lower back from tennis?
Tension in the low back is the result of imbalances between groups of muscles around that partic...
How can I decrease the risk of a wrist injury in tennis?
Decrease the risk of wrist injury by ensuring that there is the proper amount of flexibility and ran...
How often should I stretch while training for tennis?
If general health is the main goal, engage in stretching three to five times a week. Athletes re...