Should I use plyometric exercises during the tennis pre-season?

Yes, plyometrics should be included in the tennis pre-season, but should not be started in the pre-season. Plyometrics and explosive power need to be developed throughout the off-season and into the season. Plyometrics are excellent for producing power to prepare for tennis season. Before performing plyometrics, it is essential to ensure that your body is properly prepared for and can handle the demands of plyometrics. To be ready for plyometrics, make sure you have good landing mechanics.

When jumping and landing, you should be able to land in an athletic position (knees bent, on toes, knees not buckling in towards the middle, and balanced on your feet). If you cannot hold a balanced athletic position or your knees buckle in, work to build stability and endurance in your hips, knees, and core. If you can land in a stable position, than your goal will be to increase strength and power. Perform exercise in which you land in an athletic position and hold the landing, like box jumps with stabilization. Perform exercises like these roughly two to three times a week for five to ten repetitions each session.

After two to four weeks of stabilization jumps you will progress into reactive movements in which you land and then rebound into another jump, having to repeatedly stabilize and produce force, like repeated box jumps or single-leg lateral hops. Perform two to three exercises for two to three sets of five to ten repetitions. Finally, progress into rebound reactive movements like multi-box jumps or hurdle jumps. Perform two to three exercises of five to ten repetitions.

Continue Learning about Tennis

How do I release the tension in my lower back from tennis?
Tension in the low back is the result of imbalances between groups of muscles around that partic...
How can I keep playing tennis and stay safe and healthy?
Tennis is a fun and challenging workout that will work many different parts of your body. Tennis wil...
How can I decrease the risk of a wrist injury in tennis?
Decrease the risk of wrist injury by ensuring that there is the proper amount of flexibility and ran...
What are some heart-health precautions to take before starting tennis?
If you are concerned about your heart or your health impacting your ability to play tennis consult y...