What exercises help strengthen the legs for a singles tennis match?

The legs and the hips are essential to increased power and strength for tennis. When developing a strength and power program for your legs, it's important to start with a strong base and proceed from there. The important first step is to ensure your leg and hip muscles are in proper balance with one another and have the stabilization and endurance to do heavier work. Start with exercises to balance and stabilize the knee and hip, like single-leg squats and dumbbell step-ups onto a box. Stretch and foam roll tight, stiff and sore areas to ensure that all the muscles are of the right length and sufficiently stable to support more work. Once you have done that for one to six weeks, progress into strengthening exercise for the legs and hips. The squat and the deadlift are recommended. Start with a moderate load (a weight you can lift for twelve repetitions with good form) and over weeks of training, gradually increase the weight until you can perform only six to eight repetitions of the weight. Doing so gradually, will allow you to build size and strength in the legs and give the joints time to strengthen as well. Once you have added stability, size, and strength to your legs the final ingredient is power. Power can be achieved by heavy squats (three to five repetition maximums) and explosive movements like squat jumps and power step-ups. At each phase of training, strength train at least two to three times a week.

Continue Learning about Tennis

How should I select a tennis racket?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Here are some tips for selecting a tennis racket:Size: Beginners should choose a larger frame with...
How can I decrease the risk of lower-back injury from tennis?
The main causes of back injuries when playing tennis are overuse of your lower-back muscles, an ...
How do I increase my tennis stroke velocity?
The key to increasing your tennis stroke velocity comes from the tennis racket. First, a firm an...
How often should I stretch while training for tennis?
If general health is the main goal, engage in stretching three to five times a week. Athletes re...