What exercises are recommended for the footwork needed on the tennis court?

Perform drills that incorporate the footwork used during tennis. Also, incorporate the work to rest ratio experienced during tennis (typically 1:2 or 1:3). Drills should last about ten to twenty seconds interspersed with bouts of rest of about twenty-five seconds. Concentrate on making the first step explosive when changing direction. You need to develop speed over a short distance with the ability to change direction quickly. If you can react with an explosive first step and recover quickly as well, you will be quick on the court. When possible, use a tennis ball to react to since this is what you be reacting to in a tennis match. Focus on the ball, read its speed, spin, and direction, and attack it with your feet. Train accordingly and your tennis footwork should improve.

Continue Learning about Tennis

How do I release the tension in my lower back from tennis?
Tension in the low back is the result of imbalances between groups of muscles around that partic...
Why is playing tennis good for my health?
Tennis is a fun and challenging workout that will work many different parts of your body. Tennis wil...
How do I increase my tennis stroke velocity?
The key to increasing your tennis stroke velocity comes from the tennis racket. First, a firm an...
How can I decrease the risk of a wrist injury in tennis?
Decrease the risk of wrist injury by ensuring that there is the proper amount of flexibility and ran...