What are some drills to improve my tennis court speed?

Improving speed on the tennis court is about improving quickness and acceleration. Quickness is the ability to react quickly to a stimulus (like your opponent returning a volley). Acceleration is the ability to increase velocity quickly (starting at a dead stop and getting up to top running speed as fast as possible). Quickness is largely about reaction time, but some drills can be done to train the muscles and nervous system to move as quickly as possible once you have reacted visually and mentally to a tennis ball. The best way to improve quickness is with plyometric bounding drills which teach the body to react quickly. Repeated box jumps are excellent exercises to enhance your quickness and acceleration. Perform two to three sets of ten jumps with one to two minutes rest between sets. Increasing running speed is a combination of improving running mechanics and increasing power and explosiveness. To improve running mechanics, find a qualified track and field coach in your area. To improve speed and explosiveness, plyometrics and running drills are effective. A good plyometric drill is a depth drop into a sprint. Step onto a thirty-six to forty-eight inch box, drop off and immediately break into a sprint. This is an extremely advanced technique that should only be attempted after you have shown the ability to land in a controlled manner and can do so repeatedly. Perform two to three sets of ten repetitions with several minutes rest between sets. Another effective tool is resisted running or towed running. In resisted running, a friend or trainer stands behind you with a rope attached to your waist and you will attempt to run at full speed while they resist on the rope. This trains you to drive more powerfully and explosively with the legs, increasing power and running speed.

Continue Learning about Tennis

How should I select a tennis racket?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Here are some tips for selecting a tennis racket:Size: Beginners should choose a larger frame with...
What can I do to decrease pain in my wrist while playing tennis?
Make sure you have the right racket size and weight, do wrist and grip exercises, and look into ...
How can I decrease the risk of lower-back injury from tennis?
The main causes of back injuries when playing tennis are overuse of your lower-back muscles, an ...
How do I release the tension in my lower back from tennis?
Tension in the low back is the result of imbalances between groups of muscles around that partic...