How can I decrease the risk of a wrist injury in tennis?

Decrease the risk of wrist injury by ensuring that there is the proper amount of flexibility and range of motion in the wrist. Tennis players tend to have very tight wrist flexors and extensors. To help alleviate tightness, combine foam rolling with static stretching. Foam roll the forearms using a stick or tennis ball to apply pressure to tight and sore areas. Follow with static stretching, extending your arm out in front of you with your hand dropping perpendicular to the floor. Gently apply pressure on the back of the hand, pulling it toward your body and hold. Next, raise the hand up, with fingers facing the ceiling and gently pull the hand back toward your body and hold. Combine this with exercises to strengthen specifically weak areas of the forearm. Improving grip strength can also help decrease the risk of wrist injury.

Continue Learning about Tennis

What can I do to decrease pain in my wrist while playing tennis?
Make sure you have the right racket size and weight, do wrist and grip exercises, and look into ...
How should I select a tennis racket?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Here are some tips for selecting a tennis racket:Size: Beginners should choose a larger frame with...
How do I increase my tennis stroke velocity?
The key to increasing your tennis stroke velocity comes from the tennis racket. First, a firm an...
How can I keep playing tennis and stay safe and healthy?
Tennis is a fun and challenging workout that will work many different parts of your body. Tennis wil...