What cardio exercises will help with my tennis conditioning?

The first goal of tennis conditioning is to build a good fitness base for a long match. This means doing some cardio training at a low intensity to improve your aerobic base. The next step is to build cardio strength; this can be accomplished by doing 1 and 2 minute intervals at a high intensity to increase your anaerobic threshold. Once you have these two systems properly trained, you can design short sprint drills that will cover the court quickly. This can be a series of sprints from the baseline to the service line and net in different angles. It is important to concentrate on the deleceration at each cone so you have complete body control and can quickly change direction to another point on the court. Since you are able to complete 2-minute cardio intervals, you can perform these multi-directional cone drills for 2 minutes. The goal of this type of training is to stress both the cardiovascular system and the legs.

Continue Learning about Tennis

How can I decrease the risk of lower-back injury from tennis?
The main causes of back injuries when playing tennis are overuse of your lower-back muscles, an ...
Why is playing tennis good for my health?
Tennis is a fun and challenging workout that will work many different parts of your body. Tennis wil...
How can I decrease the risk of a wrist injury in tennis?
Decrease the risk of wrist injury by ensuring that there is the proper amount of flexibility and ran...
How do I release the tension in my lower back from tennis?
Tension in the low back is the result of imbalances between groups of muscles around that partic...