What is Tenex surgery?

Tenex is a procedure that treats tendinopathy in a very different and new way.

To perform this outpatient procedure, the doctor begins by numbing a small area that has been sore, by the tendon. Under ultrasound guidance, he or she then makes a tiny incision (about the width of the end of a pen). With ultrasound guidance, the doctor inserts the Tenex instrument into the incision and points it at the tendon. The instrument vibrates the tendon and, just like a singer can vibrate a glass and break it without breaking the glasses of the window because it’s the correct frequency, the Tenex can break down the scar tissue that traps the nerve tissue in the tendon. Once the scar tissue is broken down, it's rinsed away. The doctor places a small steri-strip on the incision to complete the procedure—no stitches required, and no anesthesia.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Tendons

How is calcific tendinitis treated?
Kristofer J. Jones, MDKristofer J. Jones, MD
People with calcific tendinitis tend to get better with a subacromial injection, which can be done a...
How can I prevent tendonitis?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Flexibility is essential in preventing all kinds of injuries but tendonitis in particular. Preventio...
What Do I Need to Know About Recovery from an Achilles Tendon Repair?
What Is Tendonitis?
What Is Tendonitis?